Monday, October 10, 2011

The DJ / Photographer Relationship

After 11 years of DJing, I can't think of one instance that a photographer wasn't present at the reception.  Not all photographers are alike.   I have always made a point of, at the start of the reception, introducing myself to the photographer(s) working that event.  It is important for DJ and Photographer to work together...especially with regard to timing and lighting.

Sometimes, the itinerary that the DJ has is different than what the photographer was given.  I like to compare notes to make sure we are all on the same page concerning the timing of all aspects of the reception.  During an event, I constantly update the photographer as to what is coming up next so that no shots are missed.  During a one-time event, it is not good to miss important photographic moments.  Explain to the bride why the tossing of the bouquet was missed.

Lighting is important to a photographer, as it is to a DJ.  As a DJ who likes to add lighting effects to the dance floor and event room, I try to make sure that my lighting won't interfere with the photographic preferences of the photographer.  Some will request that I cut back on certain lighting types and other suggest to do what I would normally do and work with it.  Night lighting can be tricky, but not to one photographer I just recently worked with at Fricano's Event Center in Muskegon, MI.  Kristyn LaPres Photography (www.kristynlapres.com) and her associate husband did a fantastic job at the Fricano/DeJarnette wedding on Oct. 8, 2011.  They were very in-tune to what was going on all evening.  Their equipment, experience and talent permitted them to take many great shots in a dimly lit room of dancing with a flood of DJ lighting, to get awesome resulting pictures.

Never underestimate the importance of the DJ/Photographer relationship.  It can make a significant difference on the outcome of your memory book.

No comments:

Post a Comment